[mythtv-users] New install stuck at frontend setup

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Wed Sep 2 23:21:56 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 3:52 PM Bert Haskins <bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:

> On 9/2/2015 5:23 PM, Nick Rout wrote:
>
> Or the frontend log.
>
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:23 AM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You may have the wrong password in there. Check the backend log (ssh
>> should be working).
>>
>> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 9:16 AM, Bert Haskins < <bhaskins at chartermi.net>
>> bhaskins at chartermi.net> wrote:
>>
>>> New install of mythbuntu and it's been years since I have done this.
>>>
>>> The box powers up and right after the password goes into frontend setup.
>>> It then just loops around through 1/1 and 1/2 and nothing seems to make
>>> it happy.
>>> The only way that I can escape from this is by power down.
>>>
>>> Earlier I was able to scan and play many channels using Hdhomerun config
>>> and I can show
>>> the Mythtv page in a browser.
>>>
>>> Can someone tell me how to fix this?
>>> At this point I've lost the entire system.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>    Bert

> SSH won't accept the root password??
> Strange... I logged in at least a  dozen times with that password.
> I guess it's reinstall time so all of that setup time goes blub, blub.
> blub.

Well, Ubuntu doesn't have a root password thus you cannot SSH into a box as
root.

However, you can SSH in as the user you created during installation.

Or you can hook up a keyboard and hit Ctrl+Alt+T to open a terminal over
the frontend.

Or you can verify your backend password and input that into the frontend.

There are many ways you can access your box. Please don't default to
"Reinstall", whenever something goes a way you don't expect.
--
Thomas Mashos