[mythtv-users] Motorola DCX3200-M

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 2 18:34:14 UTC 2015

On 09/01/2015 03:39 PM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
> Now if I give that copy to my brother to watch or keep then I've
> broken the law.  That I fully admit.

Many people have posted to clear up some of the misinformation in this
thread, but I just wanted to mention one more issue with your
statements.  Your statement above seems to be very clear, that "if I
give that copy to my brother to watch or keep then I've broken the
law."  However, even something as seemingly simple as that statement
gets extremely complicated when you mix rights-holders,
greed^H^H^H^H^Hmonetary value, lawyers, and such.

I agree that giving a copy of a recording you've made to another person
is a violation of US copyright law, but what most people don't realize
is that there are many interpretations of the meaning of "give".  In
some interpretations, "performing" the recording for another person is
considered "giving" and is considered a violation of US copyright
law--meaning if you invite your brother over for dinner and sit down
after you eat to watch a show you recorded, it's a copyright violation.
You are allowed under fair use to make a recording of the show, but if
your brother (or, presumably, anyone in any other household) wants to
watch the same show, he must make his own recording or watch it when
originally broadcast.  Other interpretations say that performance of the
recording must be done on the original equipment that would have been
used to perform the original broadcast--i.e. you couldn't take your
MythTV box over to your brothers, but any number of people can watch the
recording with you (and often, that "with you" is a requirement) on your
MythTV box and TV.

Also, note that time-shifting is a term that's often
misunderstood/misinterpreted/interpreted-for-my-own-best-benefit by DVR
users.  While you're allowed to record broadcasts from legally-available
services under fair use, it's pretty clear that you're not allowed to
archive or library recordings.  This means that you're allowed to record
the show and watch it (in some interpretations, exactly once--and in
some interpretations, that means you and your S/O have to watch it at
the same time) within a "reasonable" time after original broadcast (in
some interpretations, as little as 30 days).  After watching once or
after the expiration of the fair-use time-shifting period, you no longer
have a fair-use right to the content of the recording.  If you want to
see the show again, you're expected to either re-record it or find
another (legal) performance to do so.

So, in general, even if you feel something is clearly supported by law,
there are probably so many nuances of both the law and the situation
that must be considered that it's probably best not to make any
statements about what people are allowed to do--especially on a
publicly-archived mailing list.

Note that the point of my post is not what is or is not legal under US
fair-use/copyright laws, but that it takes a lot of words (far more than
are in US Code, Title 17) to say what you can or cannot legally do under
copyright law.  So, as others have mentioned, please be careful with the
generalizations and with giving "legal" advice on list.

Mike