[mythtv-users] IguanaIR configuration

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 18:28:40 UTC 2015

On 02/09/15 15:40, George Nassas wrote:
> n Sep 1, 2015, at 1:10 AM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Debian/Ubuntu being stuck on 0.9.0 doesn't make things easier.
 >> This was released 2011, current release is 0.9.2 (0.9.3 will arrive
in a week or so).

> I didn’t realize you’re the main lirc developer. Does the current version support
 > transmitting through the kernel driver? A while back I took a look
and it seems
 > the kernel iguana driver has transmit code and advertises it in
capability
 > inquiries but the lirc devinput driver in debian never asks if the
device can
 > transmit. Progress there would let me get rid of the igdaemon and
have fewer moving parts.

Neither 0.9.0 nor the current version supports transmitting using the
devinput driver. After all, devinput works on top of the kernel input
layer, and that certainly can't transmit.

To transmit you need to use the default driver which will expose a
/dev/lirc device for any loaded iguanair kernel module. That is, as long
as you don't blacklist iguanair a new /dev/lirc device will popup when
you connect an IguanaUR usb device. More details in [1]

Many of the iguanaIR users are conservative and uses the igdaemon which
is developed and maintained by the IguanaIR, Inc staff. However, as far
as I know there are no basic issues with the kernel driver (fingers
crosssed).

Cheers!

--alec

[1] http://lirc.sourceforge.net/lirc.org/html/configuration-guide.html