[mythtv-users] IguanaIR configuration

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 2 15:09:26 UTC 2015

On 02/09/15 13:02, Hika van den Hoven wrote:
> Hoi Alec,
>
> Wednesday, September 2, 2015, 1:42:44 PM, you wrote:
>
>> On 02/09/15 13:06, Mike Perkins wrote:
>>> On 01/09/15 06:10, Alec Leamas wrote:
>
>>> Okay. This isn't entirely how I expected things to happen. Add in two
>>> 16-month-old twin grand-daughters rampaging around the house and testing
>>> stuff becomes... interesting.
>
>> :)
>
>>> However:
>>>
>>> I finally figured out how to use irrecord and ended up with some
>>> surprising (to me) results. I assumed (!) that as the remote had a label
>>> on the back saying it was "Vista MCE Remote" that it would at least be
>>> RC-6. Nope. Nor RC-5 or anything else I tried.
>
>> Hm... tried? Did you give irrecord the chance to determine this on iẗ́s
>> own, or did you use a generic template?

Well, sort of. Any of the generic templates I tried - admittedly not all of them
- said yes, the first part looks good. But for every single one it failed to
detect a single key in the second phase.

>> That said, it seems things are getting through. This is a Good Sign, indeed.

I take it to mean that the signal is getting from the iguana dongle into their
daemon and from there into the lirc software. That was the part I was most
concerned about, since debugging that might not be straightforward without
reading all the source.

>>>   All I got back was:
>
>> [cut]
>
>>> I tried irrecord in raw mode and it does, indeed, receive data and
>>> create a .conf file. However, I'm at a loss to know what to do with this
>>> and this wasn't my intent at all. I want to use standard codes if I can.
>

>> Something is rotten here... You don't have any fluorescent light around,
>> have you?

I do have a flourescent, as it happens, but this test was done with it off. I'm
wondering if my flat screens are causing a problem, or whether the signal is
just too great or too feeble.

>> However, a raw config file could be used exactly as a normal one. If you
>> take your file with just a few buttons, copies it to
>> /etc/lirc/lircd.conf and then runs lircd + irw and checks those buttons?
>
>>> If that means my remote and dongle (which came from Maplin in the UK) is
>>> a lemon, so be it.
>
>> Oops... out of Englisch, which certainly isn't my native language. Lemon?!
>
> Next to RC6 the kernel also knows a MCE keyboard/mouse protocol. If I
> remember right that is a RC6 derivative.

I didn't want to use the kernel decoding since I want to use the blaster
functions, and I don't think I can do that yet via devinput.

--

Mike Perkins