[mythtv-users] I think my HRHR Prime died...

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 14:06:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Sep 2, 2015 at 1:22 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I went ahead and put in a ticket with Silicon Dust since when my HDHR ATSC
> died they gave me a good deal on a replacement. The response was it COULD be
> the power supply. Well I don't have a lot (0) 5V 3A wall warts hanging
> around

While the supply is rated 3A, it only requires 2.5A (newer ships
use a 2.5A supply, I am guessing that the 3A ones were cheaper
to acquire from the usual 3rd parties at the time), and then only to
be able to supply the (no known to exist) TA that actually takes
.5A for power via the USB port (all shipping TAs are self-powered).
So "for testing", a 2A supply is sufficient.

Typically, the first thing to test is swap the ethernet cable and
port (on the switch), followed by the power supply, because
those are easiest to perform without more advanced equipment.

Note that the Prime PS bricks were slightly higher quality than
the original PS bricks on other devices, but everything fails,
and temperature (in a "closet", in the "summer") might contribute
to the failure.

SD does sell replacement power supplies at a nominal price
(via tickets, not on their web site), or you can source locally
(SD has the official specs on their forum at:
https://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=19203 ),
or via your favorite online retailer.  My recollection (I source locally,
so no personal experience) is that the D-Link 5V 3A supply on
Amazon works.