[mythtv-users] Paid LIRC work for someone who wants it

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Wed Sep 2 03:01:04 UTC 2015

On Tuesday, September 01, 2015 02:00:21 PM Bob Arendt wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> I might have had the same issue F21 -> F22.  The problem was that the device
> belongs to root, and the package runs as user lirc.  The solution was to
> add a udev rule.  I created the file /etc/udev/rules.d/80-lirc.rules
> -------------------------------
> # Installing this udev rule will make the /dev/lirc* devices accessible
> # for users in the group "lirc". To enable, copy to /etc/udev/rules.d or
> # /usr/lib/udev/rules.d.
> KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEM=="lirc", OWNER="lirc", GROUP="lirc", MODE="0660"
> -------------------------------
>
> Reboot.  Or you should be able to reload the rule using:
> udevadm trigger /dev/lirc0
>
> I hope this helps.

In Fedora 22 /usr/share/lirc/contrib has various handy-ish things like

60-irc-rules:

# Installing this udev rule will make the /dev/lirc* devices accessible
# for users in the group "lirc". To enable, copy to /etc/udev/rules.d or
# /usr/lib/udev/rules.d.
KERNEL=="lirc[0-9]*", SUBSYSTEM=="lirc", GROUP="lirc", MODE="0660"

and 99-remote-control-lirc.rules:

# Installing this udev rule will disable kernel IR handling, routing
# everything to lirc. To enable, copy to /etc/udev/rules.d  or
# /usr/lib/udev/rules.d.
SUBSYSTEM=="rc", ATTR{protocols}="lirc"

I'm learning to look at `locate contrib` for interesting bits after my own migration.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca