[mythtv-users] partition names

Mark Perkins perkins1724 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 31 21:56:53 UTC 2015

> On 1 Nov 2015, at 8:03 am, Mark Perkins <perkins1724 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On 31 Oct 2015, at 8:32 am, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hoi Daryl,
>>
>> Friday, October 30, 2015, 10:24:06 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Greetings Mythizens, In the same way that I have my storage drives named
>>> /media/storage and /media/storage2, is it OK to name my OS partitions
>>> /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda6, and my swap /sda5?
>>
>>> I've set up a second OS partition and copied my original "fstab to the
>>> second partition's /etc and now realize that the UUID is incorrect. So when
>>> I correct that can I safely give names to other UUID's?
>>
>> Oh and in fstab you can use the literal name or LABEL=<the disklabel> or
>> UUID=<the UUID> you can find the actual names with the blkid command
>> see: man fstab
>>
>> Tot mails,
>> Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com
>>
>> "Zonder hoop kun je niet leven
>> Zonder leven is er geen hoop
>> Het eeuwige dilemma
>> Zeker als je hoop moet vernietigen om te kunnen overleven!"
>>
>> De lerende Mens

> I'm quite confused as to what the intent / reasoning would be for this? Naming the OS partition as a device would seem to be obscuring it. Surely a name like 'Ubuntu Myth OS' would be more useful. Not sure it's a good habit to be using device names when not dealing with the hardware (ie when using the file system mount point).
>
> I couldn't see how /dev/sda6 was at all similar convention to /mnt/storage.

I should clarify this because it's badly worded. /dev/sda6 would normally be a partition. If the partition contains a filesystem it can be mounted on the computer to a location that you can access, like '/' which is root. Some mount points (like '/') are required for your OS to run so it can find the files it needs to run.

The key point is that you could change directory to '/' (try the command 'cd /') but you could not change directory to /dev/sda6 (try the command 'cd /dev/sda6').

/mnt/storage would normally be another file system mount point, so you could change directory ('cd /mnt/storage') into it and see / create files etc etc.

I would be interested in the output of your 'df -h'. On the left it should show your partitions. On the right it should show where the file systems on those partitions are mounted.

In terms of your original question:
>>> is it OK to name my OS partitions
>>> /dev/sda1 and /dev/sda6, and my swap /sda5?

I suspect they already are, with emphasis that you asked about the *partition*, not the *filesystem*.