[mythtv-users] OT? No captions on The Walking Dead this season

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Thu Oct 29 03:25:52 UTC 2015

On 10/28/2015 9:59 PM, Phil Bridges wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 8:25 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com <mailto:gravityhammer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Ozzy Lash <ozzy.lash at gmail.com <mailto:ozzy.lash at gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>         On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Phil Bridges <gravityhammer at gmail.com <mailto:gravityhammer at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>             All of a sudden, this season of The Walking Dead doesn't have captions here (Comcast - Atlanta). Has anybody else experienced this?

>         Just checked my recording from Sunday night, and it has closed captioning.  I'm on comcast in the chicago area (Romeoville headend).

>     Interesting.  Let me see if I can ping some others around here.
>

> For grins and giggles, i ran mediainfo on the file, and came up with:
> Text #1
> ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-CC1
> Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
> Format                                   : EIA-608
> Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
> Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
> Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
> Bit rate mode                            : Constant
> Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)
>
> Text #2
> ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-1
> Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
> Format                                   : EIA-708
> Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
> Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
> Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
> Bit rate mode                            : Constant
> Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)
>
> Text #3
> ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-2
> Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
> Format                                   : EIA-708
> Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC Transport
> Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
> Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
> Bit rate mode                            : Constant
> Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)
>

> Any guesses as to why my frontend doesn't detect the captions?  I see the "CC" icon on mythweb for the file.

Do you have the option to always display CCs on? Do you have a button on your remote to turn them on and off (a CC toggle button)? Have you tried using that button when you don't see CCs when you're sure they should be displayed? I ask because there was a commit a few months ago that fixed a problem I reported where CCs would be turned off during a commercial break and the only way to turn them back on was to stop playback and then start it again:
https://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/12054

However, I have noticed that, since that commit, sometimes CCs are mysteriously turned off, but that I can turn them back on via my CC toggle button. IOW I don't have to stop/start playback. For me, that's preferable to the old behavior.

I suggest you use the playback menu to get to the Subtitles submenu to see what captions mythfrontend thinks are available. Maybe you'll find they are recognized and all you need to do is use the CC toggle button or the Subtitles submenu to turn them on.

HTH,
Helen