[mythtv-users] Copy frontend settings to new frontend keeping both

Hika van den Hoven hikavdh at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 20:46:23 UTC 2015

Hoi Mike,

> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 4:56 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:

>> On 10/24/2015 04:47 PM, Mike Rice wrote:
>>
>>> Seems like this should be easy but I don't know how to do it.  I
>>> currently have a frontend (hostname=nucfrontend) setup exactly how I want
>>> it.  I bought another machine that I want to put upstairs.  It is almost
>>> exactly the same so I just want to copy the settings from nucfrontend to
>>> the new box (nuci3frontend).
>>>
>>> I can do this:
>>>
>>> mythconverg_restore.pl <http://mythconverg_restore.pl> --change_hostname
>>> --old_hostname="XXXX" --new_hostname="YYYY"
>>>
>>> but it seems to remove the settings for old_hostname (tried it with a
>>> really old hostname I had in there).  I need to keep both.
>>>

>> Right, that is to change the host name, not to "copy a host
>> configuration", so to speak.
>>

>>> I tried the custom-identifier route but I couldn't get that to work.  I
>>> need a different AudioOutputDevice on each. Changing on one frontend breaks
>>> the other.
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>> There's no way to do this.  Why?  Because a) there's no definition of
>> "frontend settings," and b) in theory, you should be using almost all
>> default settings and only modifying a few settings values to get the
>> behavior you desire, so it should be easy to change a few settings after
>> creating a new frontend--and failing to do so will have no negative effects
>> other than not performing the behavior you expect (which then becomes your
>> notification that you need to change that setting to something other than
>> the default).

> As far as b) goes I agree that it should be just changing a few settings.
> The problem is there are many settings and it isn't clear which settings
> have been changed from the default.  And then when the misbehavior occurs
> it's sometimes hard to find the page in the setup to change it.

> Is there any way to determine which settings have been changed from the
> default?

> I'd rather not insert into the database as suggested but maybe I can just
> run a query to show the differences between the old frontend settings and
> new frontend settings. Then I could make the actual changes in the normal
> manner.

Try:
SELECT s1.value, s1.data AS old, s2.data AS new
        FROM settings as s1 JOIN settings as s2
        ON (s1.value = s2.value)
        WHERE s1.hostname = '<existing frontend name>'
        AND s2.hostname = '<new frontend name>'
        AND s1.data <> s2.data;

It lists all the differences between the two hosts in settings.
If you have started the new host at least ones it will be filled with
the defaults. It however does not show settings that exist only for
one of the hosts.

Tot mails,
  Hika                            mailto:hikavdh at gmail.com

"Zonder hoop kun je niet leven