[mythtv-users] mythbackend.log is buffered?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 26 20:33:15 UTC 2015

On 10/26/2015 01:04 PM, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> This is what I've been given for Myth from the RPMFusion packages. I think the 'nocreate' option is what is not creating a new log file, unlike every other logfile on any of my Fedora systems. Not sure why it's there, except maybe it's expected that the restarting mythbackend will create it. Is that the logic? Is there a reason I shouldn't remove that option?

There's probably a nocreate option because the file system permissions
of the log file must be set to something different from what would be
set if created by the user running the syslogd application.  You just
need to find out what a) file name/path is being used and b) permissions
should be and then (when all MythTV applications are shut down) create
the file yourself, set permissions, then start MythTV.  You could do it
with a:

sudo touch /path/to/file
sudo chown user:group /path/to/file

or whatever works for you.

I'd guess the file system permissions should be the same as the
still-existing MythTV-related log files (if you have any).

Mike