[mythtv-users] mythbackend.log is buffered?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Mon Oct 26 19:03:19 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 1:04 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> This is what I've been given for Myth from the RPMFusion packages. I think the 'nocreate' option is what is not creating a new log file, unlike every other logfile on any of my Fedora systems. Not sure why it's there, except maybe it's expected that the restarting mythbackend will create it. Is that the logic? Is there a reason I shouldn't remove that option?

I would advise against removing that option.  Removing it won't help
with the problem you reported.

>     firstaction
>         /bin/systemctl kill mythbackend.service --signal=HUP --kill-who=main 2>/dev/null || true
>     endscript

That is bizarre.  I can't think of any reason to send mythbackend a
HUP signal in the firstaction section (before logs are rotated).

If you send a HUP signal, and it reopens the existing log, and then
it's rotated, it will end up writing to the old log file.  That's not
at all what you want.  You need to send the HUP signal after rotation
is done.

Eric