[mythtv-users] DB tables corrupt, need advice on fixing

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Oct 26 11:29:21 UTC 2015

On 10/24/2015 10:49 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
> After a system crash, some tables in my mythconverg db have become
> corrupt.  I've tried a few things so far to no avail.
>
> The tables reported as corrupt by mysqlrepair are:
> - networkiconmap
> - oldfind
> - oldprogram
> - oldrecorded
> - people
>
> Running mysqlrepair and optimize_mythdb.pl <http://optimize_mythdb.pl>
> do not help.

This simply means that MySQL is unable to automatically repair the
table, therefore, manual intervention (and, possibly, decision making)
is required by the database admin.

>   I'm able to watch recorded content, but mythweb is not working and
> the Upcoming Recordings page through the frontend is empty.
>
> Should I create a backup, take those corrupt tables from a good backup
> and splice them in to the new backup, and then drop mythconverg and
> restore?  Or is there a better way to go?
>
> This is what mythweb says when I go there:
>
> Fatal Error
>
> !!NoTrans: SQL Error: Incorrect information in file:
> './mythconverg/oldrecorded.frm' [#1033]!!

On the bright side, .frm files contain none of your data.  How easy it
is to fix depends on some things (like whether you're using the
supported MyISAM tables (if so, it's easy) or InnoDB (if so, it's either
easy (if your InnoDB storage engine isn't loading, load it) or not)).

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/mysqlcheck.html
and
https://www.google.com/search?q=mysql+Incorrect+information+in+file+.frm&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

(But note that I'm not saying to follow the "Then, do the following:"
steps in a nice box that Google's omniscient bots have determined is all
you need to know to understand what happened and how to fix it.  I'm
simply saying that search will get you links to a lot of discussions of
corrupt frm files.)

That said, since you've been running with corrupt tables, no data has
been written into those corrupt tables, so you will have some data
issues even after fixing the database.  This may cause issues with
MythTV and/or with some programs you've recorded since the crash.

Mike