[mythtv-users] [Bulk] Re: MythTV does not play DVD's

HP-mini blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz
Sun Oct 25 19:06:47 UTC 2015

On Sun, 2015-10-25 at 13:30 +0100, Forum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've entered `/dev/dvd` as DVD-Player, but nothing happens.
> So I've re-entered "Internal".
> MythTV wants to start to play DVD, it says "Please wait..." for some
> seconds, but afterwords, Screen gets back to menue.
>
> Maybe there is a codec issue since VLC Media Player is able to play DVD
> on same system?
>
> You can find my logging here: http://pastebin.com/AfeYfzVp

<snip>

`/dev/dvd` is the (potential) path to the optical drive & not the
"DVD-Player"; choosing "internal" should be okay.

Does the optical drive/disk spin up when you attempt to play it?

You trying to play an optical disk on the frontend so these are not the
logs you're looking for...
You're running an old 0.26+fixes version, upgrade?
Has been a lot of DVD playback improvements that might not be in 0.26.

If your VLC is from a "mainline" distribution (like *buntu) then it will
be built using shared system libraries (libdvdnav/read/css).
Your MythTV could be self contained or using system libraries depending
on the source. That might explain the different behaviour.

Your logs show the BE can not access your channel icons; BE runs as user
"mythtv" & your icons are in "usr" home folder. Maybe set up channel
icon storage group that "mythtv" group & user can access.
Your logs show some channel PID mismatches.. maybe need to rescan &
manually update some channels or are some channels only available at
specific times of the day?