[mythtv-users] The future of Mythbuntu ISOs

Thomas Mashos thomas at mashos.com
Fri Oct 23 23:35:00 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 3:33 PM jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 01:32:41PM -0500, Ben Kamen wrote:
> > On 2015-10-23 11:19 AM, Kirk Bocek wrote:
> > >

> > >Although there *was* a village in the late 1800s in western Russia that
> attempted to launch a blintz into orbit. Experts think the attempt had more
> to do with the effects of the nearby lead mine.
>
>    Russians don't lauch blintzes, they launch blini.

First, I'd like to thank everyone for the responses. I didn't expect such a
large amount of emails that I'd have to read through. I'll try to answer
all the questions here, but please let me know if I missed any.

> What help would you need to continue with the ISO? What's involved in
testing?

Anyone helping with testing needs to be able to

   - Write good bug reports (I can explain if necessary)
   - Be able to test without a clear set of instructions. In the past,
   we've had a fairly limited amount of testing we do on the ISOs. I'd like to
   get a more robust set of tests that someone can perform (or just test more
   installation options.

Ideally, you would know a bit of Python, as that is what most of our
software is written in, however anyone familiar with even the basic setup
of MythTV or Ubuntu based installs should be able to help out in some form.

Testing itself doesn't need to be on bare metal (it can be in a VM), but at
some point we'll need to test a scratch to fully setup and recording
install (although this could easily be done in a VM was well)

Things we could use help on

   - Testing new ISO installs (this is what we need to be able to continue
   doing ISOs). This also needs to test SystemD type things since that is new
   (to us) in 16.04.
   - Testing upgrades from 14.04
   - Testing of Mythbuntu control centre
   - Testing of the Mythbuntu theme
   - Our MythTV setup guide
   - Fixing and/or Triaging bugs (basically working with bug submitters to
   ensure there is enough information available to actually work on the bug)
   - Theming stuff including quality assurance. (Theming it's that
   difficult, however I don't use all the parts of MythTV so some things in
   the Mythbuntu theme are probably broken)

Our ties are close with Ubuntu, so anything that someone does to assist us
benefits Ubuntu users as well.

> Would it not be easier to just keep up with the LTS versions of Ubuntu?

As others have already mentioned, we already do LTS only.

> I would be sad to see if the PPA's go away because myth was painful to
compile.

The PPA's won't be going away. That is actually one of the processes that
is fairly automated.

> I am not familiar with Ubuntu server, but I would be interested in seeing
the steps required to recreate a mythbuntu-like install.

The steps to do this are actually fairly easy (a great thing about how
Ubuntu is built). A quick step back, with any flavor of Ubuntu, you're able
to switch to a different flavor (including Mythbuntu) by doing 'apt-get
install <FLAVOR>-desktop'. I mention Ubuntu Server, as that is a very
basic, command line only install. So the steps would be to install Ubuntu
Server, then do 'apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop' (this would install
some XFCE stuff, Mythbuntu control center, etc, but not MythTV), then you
would fire up the Mythbuntu Control Center and select the type of MythTV
install you want (eg. backend only, frontend only, etc) and it would
install the necessary packages for you. It's possible that we could create
some form of script that would do this straight away from the command line
as well.

Thanks,

Thomas Mashos
Mythbuntu Developer