[mythtv-users] Trying To Get Two IR Receivers Working

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 23 22:07:25 UTC 2015

On 23/10/15 18:29, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 10/23/2015 10:14 AM, Karl Newman wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if there may be something else going on here, maybe Fedora-specific, or flakey hardware?
>> I'm running self-compiled 4.0.5 (with the Gentoo patchset) on my ECS Liva and I've never had
>> anything that looked like USB issues. I did verify that line in the source code is unmodified by
>> Gentoo (mine still says n=32). Now granted, I've only tried one remote receiver and USB keyboard
>> and one or two flash drives so my experience is not exactly broad, but a number of other people
>> picked up an ECS Liva for use as a MythTV frontend and have virtually zero complaints about them.
>> The only way to really test it is to install a different OS on it, which I gather you're unwilling
>> to do.
>>
>> Karl
>>

> This is actually my second ECS Liva. My first one is working great. Now the IR receiver I am using
> with it is an ancient actual Microsoft branded unit that plugged in and just simply worked under
> Fedora 21. I keep meaning to move it over to this second unit as a test.
>
> No, I'm willing to try another OS. I don't want to though. But I have a question about replacing the
> efi boot sector (doesn't it get locked in somehow?). I'm just emotionally attached to Fedora having
> worked for so many years with CentOS. I'm having a hard enough time with the systemd, firewalld,
> dnf, etc changes.
>
> I'll adjust. I've been doing this a long time. I think I'm just getting old and grumpy.

Perhaps there are actual hardware differences between your two Livas? A long shot, certainly, but
entirely possible as manufacturers swap out components for cheaper ones, etc.

The way to prove that you are looking at the same thing would be to go through your dmesg logs
immediately after boot on both machines, noting differences.

--

Mike Perkins