[mythtv-users] Trying To Get Two IR Receivers Working

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Oct 23 17:14:24 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 7:56 AM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> On 10/22/2015 8:56 PM, Jerry Rubinow wrote:
>

>> Kirk, I checked the 4.2.4 and 4.3-rc6 kernel source and it does not have
>> the fix.   I imagine this is because it may only be an issue with the
>> combination of Liva's weird USB hardware and particular types of IR
>> receivers, and it's not on the radar.  I looked through the link I sent you
>> and it actually doesn't have the right fix (the one that worked for me).
>> Here it is simply.
>>
>> In drivers/usb/core/config.c, in the default case of the switch statement
>> at line 219 (in 4.2.4 anyway), there is a line "n = 32;".  Change it to "n
>> = 10;".  Here's a link to the file:
>>
>> https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/tree/drivers/usb/core/config.c?id=refs/tags/v4.2.4
>>
>> -Jerry
>>

> Thanks for doing this Jerry. If it's not under 4.2 and 4.3 it of course
> won't be present in Fedora 22's kernel 4.1.That saves me a bunch of time
> installing Fedora 23 Beta for no reason.
>
> Now I need to learn how to patch and install a custom kernel in Fedora 22.
> It's been a *long* time since I've done that under any distro. I'm sure I
> have all the tools since I had tried patching mceusb.ko to try to get my
> Chinese IR receiver working. I assume there is a page somewhere with
> instructions on compiling and installing under grub2, etc.
>
> Kirk

I wonder if there may be something else going on here, maybe
Fedora-specific, or flakey hardware? I'm running self-compiled 4.0.5 (with
the Gentoo patchset) on my ECS Liva and I've never had anything that looked
like USB issues. I did verify that line in the source code is unmodified by
Gentoo (mine still says n=32). Now granted, I've only tried one remote
receiver and USB keyboard and one or two flash drives so my experience is
not exactly broad, but a number of other people picked up an ECS Liva for
use as a MythTV frontend and have virtually zero complaints about them. The
only way to really test it is to install a different OS on it, which I
gather you're unwilling to do.

Karl