[mythtv-users] Optimal RAM Allocation for Intel

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Fri Oct 23 16:56:21 UTC 2015

On 10/23/2015 9:45 AM, Jim C wrote:
> That's probably a more modern implementation that that present in the
> ECS Liva: Bay Trail I think. Whatever memory you assign to video in
> BIOS is actually removed from system memory. I have a fixed 1.5GB
> available to Myth.
>
> What you say about the ECS Liva makes sense. I look forward to trying
> one of those as a dedicated front end one day.
>
> I think the motherboard plays a role in what can be set too. In one of
> the motherboards I have used recently there is no setting for DVMT, only
> a setting for shared memory as you have indicated. I think the DVMT
> exists in that board but is not adjustable. In the more recent
> motherboard I am using there are settings for shared memory and for
> DVMT. Based on the findings I was reporting I am leaving the shared
> memory setting at the factory default of 64MB and setting the DVMT to
> maximum. That seems to work well.

Looking at the manual I have saved for my Liva, the two settings for
video are DVMT Pre-Allocated and DVMT Total Gfx Mem. I set both to max.
I think the first was 128 or 258MB. I know the second was 512MB.

I can remotely access this host and it is currently running Fedora 21 +
Mythfrontend. 1.5GB of RAM is available.