[mythtv-users] The future of Mythbuntu ISOs

Tom Bongiorno tbjr at bongohut.com
Fri Oct 23 15:52:15 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 11:20 AM, Dick Steffens <dick at dicksteffens.com>
wrote:

> On 10/23/2015 02:37 AM, Phill Edwards wrote:
>

>> In my opinion, as long that a "simple apt-get install
>> everything-needed-for-mythbuntu" can be done with one or two commands, and
>> if the steps to do so are well described, those interested in a Linux based
>> PVR shouldn't have more troubles than now.
>>

> I think Mythbuntu has provided more than just a set of packages. It has
> its own software (eg Mythbuntu Control Centre) and a fantastic set of
> defaults and installation scripts that have made Mythbuntu one of the
> easiest flavours of MythTV to set up and maintain. Well done and thank you
> to everyone involved. I'll be very, very sad to you see you go.
>

> My installation is Ubuntu 12.04 desktop with MythTV added using Synaptic.
> It's working well for me, except for some glitches* which are not related
> to MythTV.
>
> *GLITCH: Greatest Lemon In The Company's History. Back in the late 1970s I
> took some computer classes at Boston University. The professor worked for
> IBM and told us that the term GLITCH came from a problem with one of the
> computers on one of the Apollo missions that could have resulted in a
> catastrophe. I haven't found supporting documentation, but it's a good
> story.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> Dick Steffens

Thank you for all of the years of excellent ISOs. They were most useful for
my frontends. I used them to build/rebuild all my nearly stock frontends
very quickly. I had little fear of upgrading them. My dedicated backend
started with mythbuntu, but it is not a stock install. I let it update the
packages, but have kept the OS at 12.04 LTS.

I am not familiar with Ubuntu server, but I would be interested in seeing
the steps required to recreate a mythbuntu-like install. I plan to update
my backend completely with the next LTS. Is the mythbuntu team planning to
put together a little how-to on the process?

Thanks again!
-Tom