[mythtv-users] [Bulk] Re: MythTV does not play DVD's

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Oct 18 11:07:03 UTC 2015

On 18/10/15 11:35, Mike Perkins wrote:
> On 18/10/15 11:16, Paul Harrison wrote:
>> Also IIRC if you are using storage groups and using separate BE/FEs
>> it's the backend that needs the
>> support for encrypted DVD's not the frontend.
>>
> To clarify that last point, is that still true even when the DVD is
> mounted on a remote FE? Does that mean everything from that DVD has to
> get sent to the MBE, decoded, and then sent back again for display?

I would guess you are _not_ using storage groups for MythVideo but are
mounting your video directory on each FE in the same place so no. What I
said only applies if you have your DVD's stored in a directory on a BE
and are using storage groups. The advantage is you can play anything on
a BE on any FE without having to mount everything on each FE it just
works :)

I should also say I'm referring to master. Can't recall if encrypted DVD
support over storage groups made it to 0.27 and to busy (or lazy) to go
and look :)

Paul H.