[mythtv-users] MythTV does not play DVD's

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Sun Oct 18 10:16:00 UTC 2015

On 17/10/15 19:12, Forum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to play DVD's, but MythTV does sometimes not play them, but
> VLC Media Player is able to play them.
>
> My configuration settings are:
> / Media / Videos / Player Options:
> Standard Player: Internal
> DVD Player: Internal
> DVD-Drive: default
> Alternative Player: <not checked>
>
> When I try to play a DVD, MythTV says first "please wait", then screen
> gehts dark for some seconds and then returns to DVD-menu, but does not
> play DVD.
>
> I've tried to enable "Alternative Player" and inserted `vlc file://%s
> vlc://quit` in Alternative Player, as it is recommended in
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VLC , but DVD is still unable to view.
>
> Which configuration settings should be used to view DVD's? Again: VLC
> is able to play them.
>
> Regards,
> DM

DVD's play fine here on master not sure about 0.27 though.

If you are using storage groups the alternate player probably wont work
since no other players understand the myth:// urls. I say probably
because I seem to recall a patch that would make them work on combined
BE/FE's but not sure if it was ever applied to 0.27. If it's a separate
FE then alternative players most definitely wont work with storage groups.

Also IIRC if you are using storage groups and using separate BE/FEs it's
the backend that needs the support for encrypted DVD's not the frontend.

Paul H.