[mythtv-users] Arris DCX3200M-P3 and firewire on Shaw - Update

Christopher Sean Hilton chris at vindaloo.com
Sat Oct 17 16:23:23 UTC 2015

On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 02:30:08PM -0600, Jerome Yuzyk wrote:
> Just to follow-up for others with the same setup. 0.27.4 Fedora 22

[ ...snip... ]

> So, unless someone has some ideas, and I'm open to doing some more
> testing, next up will be an HDPVR to capture component. I've Googled
> and re-Googled, read and re-read, and the only other avenue to
> pursue is one of the https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Firewire_Priming
> scripts, and my hunch is that's going to be a longer road to a
> likely dead end. Has anyone found priming smooths out most of the
> bumps for this DCX box?

Your rig sounds a lot like mine. I started with Basic Cable on a
PVR-250. Then I moved to firewire. The CableTV company made firewire
more and more useless by adding more and more encryption. So I kept
firewire for channel changing and added an HD-PVR. That's been pretty
stable for me at about 1 HD-PVR related issue per year.

I have found that the Firewire stack can be a bit of a weak link in
this setup. I haven't taken notes or diagnosed things but there have
been a few occasions after a power failure where I would have to
manually test the firewire channel changing scripts to the point where
they worked. Once I got it running it was stable.

--
Chris

      __o          "All I was trying to do was get home from work."
    _`\<,_           -Rosa Parks
Christopher Sean Hilton                    [chris/at/vindaloo/dot/com]