[mythtv-users] Tivo has Commercial Skip in US

Per Jessen per at computer.org
Thu Oct 15 14:20:44 UTC 2015

Joseph Fry wrote:

> This could work really well for several reasons:
>

>    1. Almost all shows have the commercial breaks defined by the show
>    producers, ensuring that the amount of time between commercial
>    breaks will be consistent regardless of the network broadcasting
>    the show.
>    2. Most major networks define the duration of the
>    commercial breaks, such that even if your watching at opposite ends
>    of the country, your commercial breaks will be the same length.

I like your idea, but I don't think 1 and 2 above apply world-wide.  On
British channels, the length of the commercial break depends on the
popularity and time of day for instance - 2 minutes, 3 minutes, 4
minutes.  For instance, when an episode of Midsomer Murders is first
broadcast, the breaks are longer, on the next few re-runs maybe 4
minutes, then slowly less.
On Swiss channels, movies only have one lengthy break in the middle. On
German channels, commercial are before and after a show.

--
Per Jessen, Zürich (7.3°C)