[mythtv-users] Optimum Cable Copy Once creep

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:44:53 UTC 2015

On Wed, Oct 14, 2015 at 5:32 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
> It sounded like you had some solution for viewing copy_once content on W7.
> Is that WMC?

That is WMC's claim to fame (well, one of them, but the most
important capability for many).  Microsoft spent many many
(probably many many more) millions to develop and support a
protected path in Windows for WMC to be able to record
protected content.

With W10, they have decided to end the WMC offering,
stating lack of ROI for the (shrinking) number of WMC
users(*).  The future is (pure) streaming, did you not get
that email?

(*) The numbers may be shrinking, but they are very
vocal about their expectations (and why MS should
support them forever).  On the other hand, I never
heard one stand up and say "We intend to pay you
millions of dollars to support us", like the Enterprises
do for past end of life support of products.