[mythtv-users] Some of my pay channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime) now work in Myth. SD only

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Oct 14 02:54:03 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 6:03 PM, Hika van den Hoven <hikavdh at gmail.com> wrote:
> It also depends on your TV. I still watch on an analog TV. I see the
> difference between pure analog and SD, but not between SD and HD. And
> actually sometimes when I watch with somebody else, I find the
> sharpness of the picture tiring to my eyes! More detail then needed,
> but which my brain will have to process!

I find the exact opposite.  SD looks blurry, and my brain is trying to
sharpen it, but can't, because the detail just isn't there to allow
it.  If I ever record something on an SD channel by accident, I
usually just delete it.

Even at 1080, I have to sit pretty far back (and there are the
ever-present digital compression artifacts).  I haven't seen an 8K
display yet, but I think that might be reasonable, presuming they
don't compress it down too much.  We'll probably have decent and
affordable displays right about the time my eyes give out.  :(

Eric