[mythtv-users] Some of my pay channels (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime) now work in Myth. SD only

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Oct 13 19:54:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
> This thread is discussing the HDHomeRun and copy protection. Your HDPVR will
> not work with a HDHomeRun or any other CableCard tuner for that matter.

I was responding directly to the assertion that "premiums" is a
category that "MythTV [..] cannot properly record", without regard to
any qualification.

Furthermore, "premium" and "copy-once" are not synonymous.  I get
serveral Fox channels which are not premium but are copy-once and
several premium channels (e.g. Showtime) which are premium but
copy-freely.  Saying MythTV cannot properly record premium channels is
misleading at best.

> There are some that believe that any lossy method of recording is not
> proper. I am in that group, and that is one reason why I do not subscribe to
> premiums.

When I watch content on my MythTV box, looking just at the audio/video
on the screen/speakers, I'm unable to distinguish HDPVR recordings
from HDHR Prime recordings (I have both).

Eric