[mythtv-users] Arris DCX3200M-P3 and firewire on Shaw

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Tue Oct 13 19:09:06 UTC 2015

On Monday, October 12, 2015 04:27:11 PM Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 4:08 PM, Jerome Yuzyk <jerome at supernet.ab.ca> wrote:
> > The Arris DCX3200M-P3 I got from Shaw seems to have its firewire ports enabled, from the box's diagnostics, and the fact that I can use the 6200ch channel-changer (with mods) and test-mpeg2 captures content.
> >
> > Is this enough of a test to suggest Myth can record from this box over firewire?
>
> Maybe.  Reports vary widely regarding Shaw (and they seem to
> "randomly" change the configs from time to time), but you may
> want to check if the channels you want to actually record have
> the 5C flag set, which would prevent them being recorded via
> firewire and MythTV.  You can check in the diagnostic pages of
> the STB for the current channel as I recall.
>
> And last I remember seeing it reported Shaw does not support
> the firewire port, so if it stops working, no one (at Shaw) will
> care or help or replace the device.

Ack! It works! Yesterday I wrote a script to capture every channel I could get, minus music and PPV, and got 100% of 110 channels, about 20 of them HD. Today I dove into Myth and configured it all up with crossed fingers that it worked and I got the setup right: capture and channel-change over firewire, so far for one of the sports channels I wanted, and PBS. Now testing others. I didn't have to use Stuart's patches, just configured and ran as Glen did. Happy happy, at least for now. HDPVR sitting in reserve in case Shaw tosses everything.

Now I have to figure out tuning priorities. I'm leaving the STB 2nd to my PVR-500 until I can rely on the connection.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca