[mythtv-users] HDPVR1: how hot is "hot"?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Sun Oct 11 01:44:32 UTC 2015

I've read about these boxes getting "hot." Before I commit to a place to put mine, I'd like to know what kind of heat to expect. I've had mine turned on but idle for a few days and the bottom is hotter than the top. Kinda warm for a device that's idle, as warm as my DCX-3200M that's actually tuned to a channel and feeding a monitor.

I assume the box is most active when converting HDMI to component. Does HD conversion run hotter than SD? Is the "load" of converting from an STB the same as recording a game?

Has anyone modded theirs like drill vent holes in the top? Apparently they don't vent well or at all. I'm not brave enough to tap the board for a fan like I've seen others do, but I can pull the top off and drill holes.

I'm planning to put mine on a wire rack under my desk, open to the air all around. Before I crawl under there and fuss with cables (and cables!) I'd like to do what I can to avoid some of the problems others have had so I can fuggedaboutit and get on with watching.

--
A little of Jerome's MythTV World: http://mythtv.bss.ab.ca