[mythtv-users] Mythlink Questions

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 9 21:22:23 UTC 2015

On 09/10/15 22:05, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> I've been using MythTV for about 6 months now and have developed a pretty
> decent library.  After the recording, I transcode the videos using a user
> job that executes handbrake.  After the transcode, I end up with something
> like:
>
> 1225_20150417133000.mp4
>
> What I would like to do is rename these files to something more useful,
> such as
>
> <TV Show Name>\<Season x>\<Episode Name.mp4>
>
> It looks like Mythlink can do this, but I don't want to execute it before I
> actually know it won't mess things up.  Reading the instructions, it looks
> like it just creates a symlink in the format above (with a bit of work).
> You then rename the episode permanently and remove the symlink.
>
> Is this correct?  If so, how does MythTV know to play the updated filename
> and not the numerical one?  I would think that if I did this, all the
> recordings would break because the database points to
> "1225_20150417133000.mp4" instead of the expanded name.
>
> Thank you in advanced!

That's because, once you have edited and transcoded your files, you are supposed to move them to the
Video library. If you go there you'll see that the directory structure you give as an example is one
of the ways that library can be arranged.

Mythlink is a utility which is designed to give a human-readable link to files in the Recordings
directories (as opposed to the Video directories). It was never intended for those names to replace
the filenames in the myth database.

--

Mike Perkins