[mythtv-users] Mythlink Questions

Michael Wisniewski mikewiz38 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 9 21:05:02 UTC 2015

I've been using MythTV for about 6 months now and have developed a pretty
decent library.  After the recording, I transcode the videos using a user
job that executes handbrake.  After the transcode, I end up with something
like:

1225_20150417133000.mp4

What I would like to do is rename these files to something more useful,
such as

<TV Show Name>\<Season x>\<Episode Name.mp4>

It looks like Mythlink can do this, but I don't want to execute it before I
actually know it won't mess things up.  Reading the instructions, it looks
like it just creates a symlink in the format above (with a bit of work).
You then rename the episode permanently and remove the symlink.

Is this correct?  If so, how does MythTV know to play the updated filename
and not the numerical one?  I would think that if I did this, all the
recordings would break because the database points to
"1225_20150417133000.mp4" instead of the expanded name.

Thank you in advanced!