[mythtv-users] Debug Atom/Ion HDMI audio?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 9 15:29:09 UTC 2015

On 09/10/15 14:47, Michael Wisniewski wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 7, 2015 at 12:19 AM, Tom Harris <thom.j.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I recently switched my frontend to a Zotac Zbox with an Atom 330 and Ion
>> GPU.  I've worked out most of the issues, but still have one remaining
>> problem that I'm having a hard time debugging.
>>
>> The audio has very frequent dropouts, where there will be no sound for a
>> fraction of a second.  These little hiccups are sometimes bad enough to be
>> unwatchable.
>>
>> - The program seems to be okey.  I've played the same video on my TV via
>> DNLP and it played perfectly.
>> - The video shows no interruption, only the audio has problems.
>> - Audio/Video output is over HDMI to a Yamaha soundbar
>>
>> In the past, I had used this hardware for a myth frontend.  At that time
>> my display was 720p, it's now doing 1080p.  Could 1080p be stressing the
>> Ion?
>>
>> I tried running mythfrontend with "-verbose audio" and didn't get any
>> audio logs.  Any pointers on how to debug the audio issue?
>>

> I don't have an Ion box, but I do have an Ion2.  I had a few problems, but
> finally got things working properly.  I did have audio dropouts, especially
> when browsing the EPG.  Some things I did to resolve this was...
>
> "On the frontend, if you go
> into the settings -> audio, you choose what audio card to use and the
> capabilities of that card (IE: dolby digital, plus, dts(?), things like
> that). In there, there's a checkbox for '5.1 upmix'. "
>
> Disable that 5.1 upmix.
>
> Source: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/584464?#584464
>
> The other thing I did was change the "Apperance/Theme" to OpenGL.  I think
> this fixed a lot of the issues too.  Finally, I followed the wiki page for
> the 'vdpau' stuff.
>
> Also, make sure you're using the nvidia driver and not the open source
> one.  I even had issues with the nvidia driver included with mythbuntu.
> It's a pain, but I have to reinstall the driver by hand everytime I do a
> kernel update.  If it's of any help, I'm using the following driver on my
> frontend...
>
> NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.76.run
>
> This is for an Ion2, so I would make sure your Ion is supported with this
> driver version.

Strange. Installing the nvidia driver on a stock Debian, following the instructions, sets it up as a
DKMS build[1]. This means that it is automatically rebuilt every time there is a kernel update. No
tinkering or pain involved.

Of course, Ubuntu may do things different.

[1] https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers

--

Mike Perkins