[mythtv-users] remote display from frontend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Oct 9 10:20:31 UTC 2015

On 08/10/15 22:37, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 8, 2015 at 9:47 AM, Jan Ceuleers <jan.ceuleers at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 08/10/15 18:28, Ross Boylan wrote:
>>> Jan, thanks for your response.  Let me clarify the setup.  I have one
>>> physical machine.  myth, front and backend, is running inside a virtual
>>> machine on that machine.  The goal is to get the frontend to display
>>> recordings on the screen and speakers controlled by the (host) physical
>>> machine.  There's no TV, and no network traffic that leaves the physical
>>> machine.
>>
>> Can you run the frontend on the bare metal? You can leave the backend
>> where it is if you like.
>>
> I can run  the frontend on the host if I'm willing to a) upgrade the host
> and b) replace supported packages with those from deb-multimedia.  Since
> both are risky, I'm very reluctant to do so.  Maybe a chroot or containers
> would provide the right degree of isolation.

(Fixed top posting)

I don't understand why you think it would be difficult to "upgrade the host".

Are you running a different OS for host than for your guest(s)? That's the only reason I can think
you might incur problems.

I run all my mythtv hosts on bare metal so your problem doesn't happen to me, but I do run a Xen
server under Debian Wheezy as my main server. Upgrading the host isn't difficult, providing you list
off your LVM information and xen guest conf files (or whatever your VM system uses). In practice I
did a clean install of the host, installed the xen hypervisor and simply copied back the guest
config files. Voila! A full upgraded system with no hassle.

Incidentally, one of my guests is an LTSP server, which I'm connected to from a diskless
workstation... the desktop displays fine but I wouldn't think of using it for multimedia work. I
have a separate stand-alone system for that.

Trying to think about the connection via ssh, from a LTSP client, through my guest server, to my
master backend makes my head explode. It works, though. I do all my mythtv-setup that way.

--

Mike Perkins