[mythtv-users] USB IR Receivers For LIRC

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Oct 8 15:44:22 UTC 2015

On 10/8/2015 8:10 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 08/10/15 15:36, Mike Perkins wrote:
>
>> Be aware that, while the daemon is packaged with eg. Debian, the version
>> of LIRC may not include the driver. I had to download the iguanaIR
>> source and rebuild LIRC (to pick up the libraries) in order for the two
>> to communicate.
>>
>> Whether the iguanaIR driver for LIRC is included obviously depends on
>> your distro version. It wasn't in mine (wheezy).
>
> This is basically true for all debian-based distributions. For some
> reason the Debian version i still 0.9.0 [1]
>
> That said, with the usual limitations (no blasting...) you should be
> able to use the kernel iguana module + the LIRC devinput driver.  This
> does not require the userspace daemon or LIRC recompilation, it only
> requires a recent kernel.
>
> For those distros with a modern lirc built without the iguana support,
> it's just a question of compiling the driver (i. e., a plugin). This
> is a minor issue compared to rebuilding LIRC. Of course, these
> creatures can also use the devinput option.
>
> Cheers!
>
> --alec

So what do you define as a 'recent' kernel. I'll be using this with
either Fedora 21 (kernel 4.0.x) or 22 (kernel 4.1.x). Is that recent enough.

On a related issue, you said the USB Infrared Toy had a "fresh LIRC
driver". What does that mean? More recompiling to get it to work with my
preferred distro?