[mythtv-users] Open Source Linux driver for Hauppauge HD PVR 2 (1080p over HDMI) released!

Marius Schrecker marius.schrecker at lyse.net
Thu Oct 8 07:30:10 UTC 2015

On Thursday, April 9, 2015 09:20 CEST, Joseph Fry <joe at thefrys.com> wrote:
 Hi,

Hauppauge has released an open source Linux driver for its HD PVR 2 model 1512, capable of capturing a 1080p video stream over HDMI.

ftp://ftp.hauppauge.com/Support/Test/Lin/hauppauge_driver_src_ver5.tgz
  It looks like this driver is no longer there, and I didn't find it elsewhere on their FTP site.  I was hoping this meant that they had a release version of it, but I suspect they simply got annoyed with customer questions and removed it. I'm hopeful they get something out soon for it, as I really want to ditch cable for fiber but don't want to buy the older HD PVR models at a premium. This is the only personal video recorder on the market that can capture full HD video at 30 fps (1080p30) over HDMI and that has an open source Linux driver.

It would be great to have this driver merged upstream so that it works with Linux out of the box. Could anyone ask the kernel developers on the linux-media list (http://www.linuxtv.org/lists.php) if they would be interested in porting it?

Not sure if this was the moset recent thread discussing the HD PVR 2, but  as Hauppauge has released a new driver I was wondering if anyone has played with it?

http://www.hauppauge.com/site/support/linux.html :
"Note: Currently, only the HD PVR 2 model 157210 runs with Linux. Please check with Hauppauge Support for the latest information regarding other models of HD PVR 2 running in Linux."

Click here for the HD PVR 2 Linux drivers