[mythtv-users] remote display from frontend

Ross Boylan rossboylan at stanfordalumni.org
Wed Oct 7 20:26:21 UTC 2015

I have been running mythfrontend where X is set to display on a different
machine.  This seems to work OK for viewing the schedule and settings, but
shows only a black screen if I try to watch TV.

Is there a way to make this work?

I realize the preferred solution is to run the frontend on the machine with
the display, but in this case I can't without upgrading the whole system.

In reality everything is on the same hardware; myth, however, is running
inside a VM.  I suppose if I were adventurous I could install X in the VM
and attempt to view the VM display "directly" via VirtualBox (the
virtualization software).  I suspect that wouldn't work well.

Ross Boylan