[mythtv-users] OT - Whatever happened to Hauppauge?

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 5 18:37:12 UTC 2015

On Mon, Oct 5, 2015 at 5:44 PM, Another Sillyname
<anothersname at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 10 years ago they dominated the PC TV card business (certainly in the
> UK anyway).
> What on earth went wrong with them?

They are still one of the important players (in an ever
shrinking market, or at least a market where the
sales have already been made).  New models of
a tuner do not result in new (upgrade) sales, and
competition insures that they cannot (simply) raise
prices.

There was a brief "blip" in their market capitalization
when Microsoft agreed to resell one of their tuners
for the XBOne, but it did not last.  I believe I recall
seeing a (SEC?) filing where they were trying to find
a buyer.  My recollection is that the company
continues to lose money every year.

Unfortunately, I suspect the answer is:  "He's dead, Jim".