[mythtv-users] HD-PVR Power Adapters

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Oct 4 06:24:19 UTC 2015

On Tue, Sep 29, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Richard Woelk <richardwoelk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> When my HDPVR 1212 power supplies started going, I cut the ends off and
> connected them to a hard drive molex from inside the computer. This works
> well, and the HDPVRs are actually a lot more stable.
> It is probably a good idea to put a fuse in it.

I am just finishing rewiring my mythtv setup.

I have 4 HDPVR's, and 2 usb ports (powering a Raspberry Pi and a little 8
port switch) on the 5v rail and 4 Cisco STB's on the 12v rail all running
off a standard ATX powersupply (think it's 400w).

Based on the current ratings of all of the equipment's wallwarts, I am well
under the rated current on both rails, and I doubt I would ever come close
to the theoretical max since the equipment typically draws well under the
maximum rating of it's wall wart.

There is absolutely no doubt that my ATX power supply is more efficient
than 10 wall warts would be, and the quality of the power is so much better.

Took a little while to wire all of the barrel plugs and USB ports...
everything is wired to Molex splitters, so I can change the power supply
easily if it ever fails.