[mythtv-users] Need a New Remote

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Sat Oct 3 04:13:47 UTC 2015

On 10/1/2015 8:25 AM, Michael Drons wrote:
> After many years of the kids dropping my Acoustic Research remote it has finally died.  Looking for recommendations on a new remote.
>
> Some requirements:  it needs to support mythtv
> ability to control 5 more devices - receiver, dvd player, etc
> would prefer it to be programmable and not have to learn the commands.
>
> I am not looking to spend a lot of $$, as the kids seem to drop it.
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

I like the Sony RM-VLZ620.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-RMVLZ620-Universal-Remote-Control/dp/B00385XUG0
* supports up to 8 devices.
* can be programmed for most devices using a 5 digit code.
* has learning function for devices it doesn't know about.
* costs under $17 at amazon.
* can probably find it at a local best buy for $22.

You probably can program the remote for most of your devices with a 5 digit code, but you'll probably need to use the learning function for your mythtv IR receiver. I know you said you'd rather not have to learn commands, but if you've got a working IR receiver and the original remote that came with it, you should be able to teach it every key you care about, and I think the price is right.

HTH,
Helen