[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 14:14:11 UTC 2015

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 3:52 PM Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 6:21 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:

> > My point is, if they can play copy-once content then they have some kind
> of
> > solution to this "protected path" problem.
>
> Well, they have not yet shipped their client which supports
> protected content (they have a recorder/scheduler, and a
> proof of concept Kodi client which does not support protected
> content), but they are targeting a solution for those platforms
> which implement a certified protected content path.  That is
> Windows, Mac, and (some) mobile.  For non-protected
> content other platforms may be viable (but other than the
> Kodi client, nothing is committed, although there were
> suggestions on the kickstarter pages that for non-protected
> content they will likely make a Linux client at some point;
> some point is likely a ways off since they have recently
> posted to their kickstarter that the RC is a few months
> late at this point).
>
> It is the certified protected path platform which enables
> an approved app to utilize the platform capabilities to display
> protected content (typically, the operations such as
> decode/render have to be performed inside a sandbox which
> protects against extraction of the raw content (which also
> includes a HDCP requirement), although other
> implementations are possible).   No platform capabilities
> means no app.  No general purpose Linux system (known
> to me) provides those platform capabilities, but if you
> know of one, please share (or please ship it).
>
> There is no crypto known to man that is not breakable
> with sufficient luck (especially when the private key is '1')
> or sufficient resources (that brute force may take longer
> than the heat death of this universe is but a minor issue).
> But to get the required certification in the first place,
> and to not get ones certificates revoked (which terminates
> your ability to obtain the content), you have to be able to
> demonstrate that you followed the rules as written.  The
> rules require implementation of a protected content path
> for cable/iptv/satellite content.  Other content has different
> rules.  The rules could change.

I've been following the SiliconDust DVR development, and have read that
right now, their Android View app allows access to Protected content.
Andriod M was supposedly going to enable MPEG2 hardware decoding on the
Nexus Player tv box.  I just ordered one from Best Buy ($60 shipped) to
give this a whirl, as more and more channels are getting the copy once flag
making my prime less and less useful for mythtv. :(