[mythtv-users] Need a New Remote

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Oct 1 21:32:15 UTC 2015

On 01/10/15 19:13, Kirk Bocek wrote:

> On 10/1/2015 9:31 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
>> On 01/10/15 15:08, Kirk Bocek wrote:
>>>
>>> I have used the RCA RCRP05BR for many years with many different USB IR receivers:
>>>
>>> http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RCRP05BR-Device-Replacement-Universal/dp/B0028IKXLS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1443708285&sr=1-1&keywords=rca+rcrp05br
>>>

>>> It does support programming as an MCE remote. I have two at each of my two front
>>> end locations and another six sitting in the garage for replacements.
>>>
>> The problem there is that the phrase "MCE Remote" actually means very little at all, as my own
>> investigations have discovered.
>>
>> Alleged "MCE" remotes and receivers can send and receive almost any kind of IR code and there is
>> almost no commonality amongst them.
>>

> Well it generates the codes recognized by LIRC and the mceusb configuration provided by the
> distribution. It works for me.

...And if you look at the mceusb.conf file, you will discover three mutually incompatible sets of
codes - at time of writing, not all of which are able to supply the required key functions. In point
of fact, /none/ of them provides both 'menu' and 'info' functions.

The codes are only recognized by LIRC because somebody went to the trouble to record the output of
their chosen remote and send it to the LIRC team. Your chinese knock-off may vary.

--

Mike Perkins