[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun DVR and MythTV

Kirk Bocek t004 at kbocek.com
Thu Oct 1 18:21:48 UTC 2015

On 9/30/2015 1:38 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 5:25 PM, Kirk Bocek <t004 at kbocek.com> wrote:
>
>>   Can a protected path be created in
>> a general Linux environment (as opposed to a closed-source Linux
>> environment)?
> First step is to get a general Linux environment to implement
> a protected path (API) and obtain the required certification(s),
> for any app must stand on the shoulders of existing certification.
>
> GPLv2 allows such platforms to exist (TiVo is the proof
> by example, and led to the term "TiVo-ization"), but they
> are not "general purpose".  With today's EFI boot
> loaders and signing, it is conceivable that with (a very
> large amount of) cash you could arrange to rewrite
> drivers and lock down apis and obtain certification
> for a specific completely public source operating system
> instance (and that means specific, not user improvable,
> not patch-able, except by going through the process again).
> All you need is a few million friends who are willing
> to lock down their system and pay a few dollars for
> the privilege.  Except for the public source piece, those
> users are currently called Windows or Mac users.

You are clearly describing a Tivo-like environment. That's what I meant
by a closed-source system.

Unless I am reading the description wrong, it sounds like the HD HomeRun
DVR frontend is intended to be a downloaded application run on whatever
OS you desire. In the case of Linux, this is what I mean by a "general
Linux environment." That is, some distro installed on some hardware.
Perhaps my language is unclear.

My point is, if they can play copy-once content then they have some kind
of solution to this "protected path" problem. But it sounds like they
don't yet have a working frontend. Or am I wrong? Is the HD HomeRun DVR
up and running?