[mythtv-users] ensuring mythbackend will be idle for db optimize

Philip Brady phil.brady at hotmail.co.uk
Thu Oct 1 11:20:08 UTC 2015

> From: jerome at supernet.ab.ca
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2015 12:07:34 -0600
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] ensuring mythbackend will be idle for db optimize
>
> On Saturday, September 26, 2015 05:42:53 PM Philip Brady wrote:
> >
> > > Interesting module. Why do you not use an XML parser? I have to live with hand-rolled XML parsers in modules I use for work, and I happened to find the upcoming_recordings.pl example first and was relieved to see it use a known (though old) parser module so that was my model. Plus a way to learn how to use perl-XML for the future.
> > >
> > > But, I gotta say, your tech support is great! :) I'm looking though the update now. Will try it this evening.
> > >
> > > --
> > Why not a standard parser?  SAX looked understandable but seemed to need a complex call stack to be maintained, and I honestly couldn't understand the other parsers!  They also looked as if they had high memory overheads.  That was my reasoning but I'm probably way off target!Would you like to give a simple example of using an XML parser for the wiki?
> > On another wiki issue, do you have any views on where effort is most needed with the API pages?
>
> Makes sense - for the limited domain the API covers a general-purpose parser may be overkill. Your method is very tight. I will tinker with a couple of the most-common modules though, to make some examples. The only reason I used XML::Simple is that https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Upcoming_Parse.pl uses it and it was my first example.
>
> Is scan_database.pm going to become part of the distribution like MythTV.pm is?
>
> https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Frontend_Service needs to be fixed/updated to match the XML return that 0.27.4 (and maybe earlier) gets. That threw me off for a while. I assume the Wiki shows the 0.25 return and then the structure was changed to match that of the other services because it's the only one that's different.
>
> One thing I would like to do is make a summary page of the various ways that one can interact with Myth programmatically with Perl, because there are 4 ways that I can count: the Services API, WDSL, FE Control Socket, and MythTV.pm. I have not seen a collector page anywhere on the Wiki. There are lots of examples to tie together.
>
> I could contribute my WillBeQuiet script to the examples pile, after some more work. It's a niche function, but collects a few things together that aren't elsewhere, and could be of interest to anyone who uses their (FE/)BE machine for other things.
>
> I can't say I understand enough at the moment to promise more, but as winter descends and nights grow longer I will learn more and would like to contribute. I kept the "Help with Documentation" thread from July for when I could see I'd have something to contribute, because I owe a lot to what's there already.
>
> --
> [...]
Part of the distribution?  I'm flattered but think it best at present if it stays with the description in the wiki.  Apart from my allergy to undocumented stuff, it's quicker to get out 'enhancements'  (others might call them 'updates' or 'Bug fixes'!).
WillBeQuiet - would have thought it best to include it with maintenance stuff in the wiki - cross reference to/from scan_database if necessary..
The API documentation - agreed - it's on my list but slow going and probably on lists of others too.  I have been trying to auto generate it from wsdl but it is limited.
Ways of interfacing with Myth?  You could add the old protocol method but that is really of historical interest - the development thrust seems to be on the API interface so the limited documentation effort maybe should be there.  I cannot find any documentation on mythtv.pm -the age of forum comments suggests it is not an API interface.
You have some interesting pages  http://mythtv.bss.ab.cahttp://mythtv.bss.ab.caWonder if there is somewhere in the wiki to put user experiences? - Gary Parker has good pages too.
We have drifted a bit here from 'WillBeQuiet' haven't we !
RegardsPhil Brady.