[mythtv-users] Fresh Mythbuntu Install

Damian myth at surr.co.uk
Mon Nov 23 12:58:31 UTC 2015

On 23/11/2015 02:01, Lindsay Mathieson wrote:

> On 22/11/15 07:26, Thomas Mashos wrote:
>> Kernel and Firmware updates are handled by the hardware enablement
>> stack (one of the reasons we do LTS only releases)
>>
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
>>
>> Your apt links not working sounds like a separate issue, since 14.04
>> is definitely still supported.
>
> Took me a while, but I got a fresh install on Mythbuntu 14.04.03 64
> bit on my NUC, then restored my DB backups. All recordings, videos and
> rules preserved, looks good. Running kernel 3.16.something
>
> Thanks for the advice.
>
> nb: Cannot recommend a Intel Celeron NUC for future builds - even with
> the latest firmware I could not get it recognise my plasma HDMI
> connection while booting off a USB drive, had to transfer to my office
> LED Monitor to get installed. It was ok after that, but a real PITA.

Anyone mind if I re-ask the original question?

My server and Myth backend is playing up a bit. It's working fine as a
mythbackend, but I'm having a few other troubles that I'm not geek
enough to sort out. I'm sure some of you guys could, but it would be
completely off topic and time consuming.

My server only needs to be set up as a Mythbackend, file server and
music sever (logitech media server). So, it will be much quicker for me
to just wipe the OS drive and start again with it.

Is it better to install the latest Xbuntu (I use the desktop version
because I use it via vnc), and then put Myhtbuntu on top of that.
Or
Should I install the latest Mythbuntu ISO, and then update the OS to get
the latest version?

I want the latest version because I'm hoping that the USB HD tuner I
bought will suddenly start working with some update or other. At the
moment, it's just an expensive dust excluder for the use port. My SD
tuners still work fine.

Cheers,
Damian