[mythtv-users] NVidia HDMI Sound & Video gone after monitor (TV) sleep or disconnect [SOLVED]

Bob mythtv at cox.net
Mon Nov 23 03:49:04 UTC 2015

On 11/16/2015 04:21 PM, Kingsley Turner wrote:
> On 11/11/15 09:39, Kingsley Turner wrote:
>> The solution to fixing the video, which seems to work 99% of the
>> time, is to "hardcode" the TV (or amplifier) EDID signature into
>> xorg.conf.  It should the the EDID of the next device after the video
>> card.  So if the HDMI cable goes first into an amplifer/av-receiver
>> then that.  If it goes straight to a TV, then the EDID of a TV.
>>
>> First you need to use the nvidia-settings tool to save a copy of your
>> output device's EDID
>> Then this is referenced from within your xorg.conf "Screen Section":
>>
>> Section "Screen"
>>     [... all the other stuff]
>>     Option         "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-1"
>>     Option         "CustomEDID"
>> "DFP-1:/home/mythuser/onkyo_amp_edid.bin"
>>     Option         "IgnoreEDID" "false"
>>     Option         "UseEDID" "true"
>> EndSection
>>
>> The "ConnectedMonitor" has to match where your device links. This can
>> be seen in the nvidia-settings GUI, but also found in
>> /var/log/Xorg.0.log.  The "CustomEDID"  needs the path to where you
>> saved the monitor's EDID data.
>>

> Looks like I spoke too soon.
>
> This works, but only about 70-80% of the time.
>
> If you have a full-keyboard, you can drop to a console [Ctrl-Alt-F2]
> and then back [Ctrl-Alt-F7] and it works again.
> Or you can reboot, or logout.
>
> I only have a mini-keyboard (no Fn keys) so this is a real PITA.
I was having a similar problem and it was due to the proprietary NVidia
video driver, I found this thread at the time (related to DisplayPort):

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/547165/-workaround-nvidia-hdmi-audio-ldquo-not-plugged-in-rdquo-hotplug-detection-failure-after-sleep/

  I am now using version 352.09 of the NVidia driver and the problem has
disappeared.