[mythtv-users] mythconverg_backup.pl inefficiencies

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Nov 19 14:15:47 UTC 2015

Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Got it.   So while the mythconverg_backup.pl script itself might take a
> long time, the database locking time is minimized.
>
> Perhaps a better modification for me might be to dump the database to
> local storage first, and then pigz it to its final resting place.  And
> yeah, I'm assuming that my use case is specific enough to not warrant a
> change in the script mythtv-users-wide.

While it's (as you say) probably not a significant use case, other programs "sort of" support your situation by having a user-definable temporary storage location. Then the uncompressed dump file would go to the optional user specified location, and the compressed file written elsewhere.

Apart from bandwidth/runtime/table locking issues, on some systems it's possible there may be disk space issues that suggest a different temporary location may be better.