[mythtv-users] auto frame rate change

Jason Kitching jason at jadrallypix.me.uk
Thu Nov 19 09:10:44 UTC 2015

> Message: 4
> Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 08:46:26 +1300
> From: HP-mini <blm-ubunet at slingshot.co.nz>
> To: mythtv-users at mythtv.org
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] mythtv-users Digest, Vol 152, Issue 28
>
> On Wed, 2015-11-18 at 12:38 +0000, Jason Kitching wrote:
>> > Hoi Jason,

>> The "Monitor" on the xorg is in fact my AV Receiver, which is set to
>> just pass through the video signal. This is then hooked up to the
>> Plasma
>> tv and both accept and run 24fps. Possible i've completely messed up
>> the
>> HorizSync and VertRefresh the amount of manual editing I've been doing
>> to the file recently.
>>
>> As for losing any quality, the picture is exactly the same quality
>> (that
>> I can see anyway) whether it's 24hz or 60hz in nvidia-settings. The
>> only
>> difference being that the plasma telly handles posterization better on
>> 60hz than it does on 24hz. That's the only reason why I now switch to
>> 60hz when any 24fps material is being shown.
>>

> The driver will just add your custom modelines to the total pool of
> available modes unless you tell it to ignore the others..
>
> Unless this "VertRefresh     56.0 - 62.0" is being ignored because it
> does not compute with the custom modelines then you're getting 60Hz
> output only.
> You can read thru' /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to find out..
>
> If you remove the 24p modeline & have 60p (59.xx) mode the default then
> video card will convert 24->60p with pull-down. Change the metamode in
> device section to be 60Hz.
> Sadly VDPAU does not (yet) have a 24p frame rate doubler..
>
> Remove (comment out) the interlaced modelines because the video card
> should be better than the TV.
>
> The remaining 2 modelines are not right, they are just made up for some
> old projector (VGA possibly).
> The ~60Hz one should be using reduced vertical blank timing:
> Modeline "1920x1080R"  138.50  1920 1968 2000 2080  1080 1083 1088 1111
> +hsync -vsync
>  and the 50Hz one:
> Modeline "1920x1080_50.00"  141.50  1920 2032 2232 2544  1080 1083 1088
> 1114 -hsync +vsync
>
> Blm
---------------------

Followed that Blm, thanks, can see the default change to 60Hz but 24fps
still being forced so I checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log and found that
nvidia-auto-select kicks in and sets the res to 1920_1080_24.

Strange though as the auto select line isn't present in the xorg.conf
file. Quick search about disabling auto-select lead me to the ubuntu
forum where another user had a similar problem with auto-select kicking
in and the xorg.conf file was being ignored. Instead one of the conf
files in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d was being used.

I will have a look later in that directory and see if I can figure out
what exactly is causing nvidia-auto-select to run.

Thanks.

Jason