[mythtv-users] Frontend for Apple TV 4

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Nov 13 19:11:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 01:01:30PM -0500, Tom Bongiorno wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Tom Bongiorno <tbjr at bongohut.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 12:47 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:

> >> their
> >>
> >> Anyone wishing to mail a DVD to grand-ma?  Some people aren't very
> >> tech savy but can manage to stick a disc in a player.
> >>
> >> Eric

[deletia]

> > I am also impressed that grand-ma has an ATV and MythTV setup!
> >

> This is funny think about...
>
> Grand-mas with an ATV, MythTV, and grandchild willing to set it all up and
> send her DVDs has to be the most niche of niche groups ever! Certainly not
> a good ROI.

   No. The sensible design would be a streamer with a thumbdrive and decent
format support. Then you wouldn't have to be some sort of ubergeek to support
a simple "home movie" use case.

   The virtue of a DVD is that it is standardized, simple, and requires few
to zero moving parts versus setting up something like MythTV or Plex.