[mythtv-users] Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH setup problems :(

fordy ydrof fordy at ydrof.com
Wed Nov 11 21:54:01 UTC 2015

Hello all,

  For years I've had haupague cards (both analogue and (Clear QAM) digital)
in my mythtv backends -- which has been nice and all, but my cable provider
is discontinuing analogue service and going all digital. (analogue service
to end next month sometime I think..)
  With schedules direct I've been able to have two schedules "Cox" and
"CoxDigital" and use "Cox" as the input for analogue tuners, and
"CoxDigital" for the clear qam digital tuners from haupague..  which has
worked just fine.

  I declined the "mini boxes" that Cox was offering and requested cable
cards (and the switched digital tuning adapters) -- so now i have 2 cables
cards, and 2 tuning adapters.

  I ordered myself a Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH -- and tried to set it up last
night (and failed in probably a variety of ways -- which leads to this
email)

I believe the cable card and tuning adapter part are ok (after calling my
cable company and giving the info to set up the cards and tuner):
the Ceton says "Validated, validation message is received, authenticated,
and the IDs match those in the current binding" for the cable card, and the
light is solid (no longer flashing) on the tuning adapter -- according to
this page (https://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Ceton_InfiniTV_4#Your_Cable_Company)
it sounds like i'm on the right track so far..

I tried in mythtvsetup to create a 3rd video source that I called
"CoxAllDigital" -- but schedules direct would only show two -- so i gave up
and deleted "CoxAllDigital" in mythtvsetup  (did i go wrong here?)

now i have the 6 ceton tuners setup in mythtvsetup with "CoxDigital" as
their source. and i ran mythfilldatabase (with various combinations of
"--dd-grab-all" "--do-channel-updates" and "--only-update-channels"  (what
assortment of ways did i go wrong here?)

in mythweb 'status' shows all teh tuners, and shows a believable-ish list
of upcoming recordings (though it isn't clear that they are digital
versions of channels) scheduled for the ceton tuners -- seems ok?

however -- mythweb 'upcoming recordings' fails to show anything other than
a blank web page :(   (how do i fix this?)

and -- mythweb 'listings' shows a handful of channels (far from the
complete list though), none with any tv shows

despite all this, *some* shows are getting recorded by via the ceton (but
the vast majority are 0 bytes) (how is this fixed?)

i'm hoping all these have the same answer :) -- and i'd welcome any
insights or ideas on what the next steps are

(btw, i've already tried optimize_mythdb.pl and mysqlcheck --auto-repair -A
-u mythtv -pmythtv --- no change in the situation with either)

and beyond the immediate problem -- i'm not sure what cox is going to do,
but i'm guessing that the local broadcast channels will still be in Clear
QAM -- so the digital side of the huapuge tuners should still be functional
for those -- so how do i configure mythtv (and/or schedules direct) such
that the ceton tuners can tune all digital channels and the hauapgue tuners
will be restricted to channels that work without the cable cards?

thanks!

and beyond the technical problems, which i'm assuming/hoping can be solved..
i'm not sure what to get for the 2nd cable card -- another ceton? or a
hdhomerun prime? hmm