[mythtv-users] SPDIF Audio = no sound, Myth FE lockup in speaker test

Kingsley Turner krt at krt.com.au
Thu Nov 5 21:07:42 UTC 2015

On 05/11/15 19:11, Mark Perkins wrote:
> Just guessing, but given its a new install have you checked permissions of
> audio device versus user running MythFE?

I checked these, and indeed the Mythtv FE user was not a member of the audio
group.

I added them, but it made no difference.

# aplay -D iec958:CARD=PCH,DEV=0 test.wav
Playing WAVE 'test.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
aplay: pcm_write:1939: write error: Input/output error

... and HDMI audio already worked without it.

It's really starting to look like a driver problem I think.

I tried a few different options on the snd-hda-intel driver in alsa-base
configuration, but it made zero difference.
Maybe the ALC887 chipset is not well supported yet?  There's no mention of
it in the /usr/share/doc/alsa-base/driver/HD-Audio-Models.txt.gz file,
whereas every other flavour seems to have multiple entries.

thanks,
-kt