[mythtv-users] OT? No captions on The Walking Dead this season

Phil Bridges gravityhammer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 11:11:54 UTC 2015

<mailto:ozzy.lash at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >  >> >>>
> >  >> >>>
> >  >> >>>
> >  >> >>> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 5:58 PM, Phil Bridges <
gravityhammer at gmail.com <mailto:gravityhammer at gmail.com>> wrote:
> >  >> >>>>
> >  >> >>>> All of a sudden, this season of The Walking Dead doesn't have
captions here (Comcast - Atlanta). Has anybody else experienced this?
> >  >> >>>>
> >  >> >>>>
> >  >> >>>> _______________________________________________
> >  >> >>>> mythtv-users mailing list
> >  >> >>>> mythtv-users at mythtv.org <mailto:mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> >  >> >>>> http://wiki.mythtv.org/Mailing_List_etiquette
> >  >> >>>> MythTV Forums: https://forum.mythtv.org
> >  >> >>>>
> >  >> >>>
> >  >> >>> Just checked my recording from Sunday night, and it has closed
captioning.  I'm on comcast in the chicago area (Romeoville headend).
> >  >> >>>
> >  >> >>> _______________________________________________
> >  >> >>>
> >  >> >>
> >  >> >> Interesting.  Let me see if I can ping some others around here.
> >  >> >>
> >  >> >
> >  >> > For grins and giggles, i ran mediainfo on the file, and came up
with:
> >  >> > Text #1
> >  >> > ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-CC1
> >  >> > Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
> >  >> > Format                                   : EIA-608
> >  >> > Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC
Transport
> >  >> > Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
> >  >> > Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
> >  >> > Bit rate mode                            : Constant
> >  >> > Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)
> >  >> >
> >  >> > Text #2
> >  >> > ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-1
> >  >> > Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
> >  >> > Format                                   : EIA-708
> >  >> > Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC
Transport
> >  >> > Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
> >  >> > Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
> >  >> > Bit rate mode                            : Constant
> >  >> > Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)
> >  >> >
> >  >> > Text #3
> >  >> > ID                                       : 4268 (0x10AC)-2
> >  >> > Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
> >  >> > Format                                   : EIA-708
> >  >> > Muxing mode                              : SCTE 128 / DTVCC
Transport
> >  >> > Muxing mode, more info                   : Muxed in Video #1
> >  >> > Duration                                 : 1h 2mn
> >  >> > Bit rate mode                            : Constant
> >  >> > Stream size                              : 0.00 Byte (0%)
> >  >> >
> >  >> >
> >  >> > Any guesses as to why my frontend doesn't detect the captions?  I
see the "CC" icon on mythweb for the file.
> >  >> >
> >  >>
> >  >> Just as a test, try playing the file in VLC and see if captions
render ok.
> >  >>
> >  >> Devin
> >  >
> >  >
> >  > I copied the file to a network drive, and I can see the captions on
VLC on my Windows PC.
> >  >

> > Anybody have any guesses why I can't see the captions via MythTV?
>
> Sounds like you should submit a ticket. You can use the DD command to
extract a short clip. You want one where VLC can play the captions and
where, if you put that clip into your Videos directory, you can play the
clip in mythfrontend, but mythfrontend can't display the captions. If you
can get the clip under 2 Mbytes, you can attach it to the ticket. But
that's probably not going to give a clip that's long enough to demonstrate
the problem. There are websites where you can post the clip and then
reference it in your ticket. I'm not up on them, I use my own web server.

> HTH,
> Helen

I haven't had an opportunity to do a file snip, but I realized something -
Comcast had started pushing channels to MP4 in my area. I'm guessing this
has happened in AMC (file size is a good bit smaller). Are the captions
encoded the same for MP4?