[mythtv-users] The future of Mythbuntu ISOs

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 1 14:48:18 UTC 2015

On 10/29/2015 02:43 PM, Thomas Mashos wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 28, 2015 at 4:46 PM Larry Kennedy
> <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com <mailto:lunchtimelarry at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 7:38 PM, Thomas Mashos <thomas at mashos.com
>     <mailto:thomas at mashos.com>> wrote:
>
>         Hello Everyone,
>
>         15.10 has just been released and the 16.04 LTS dev cycle is
>         upon us, so it's that time again where the Mythbuntu team has
>         work to do. However, being that our team is very small (1-3
>         semi-active members) and efforts to get more people involved
>         have been unsuccessful we are entertaining the idea of not
>         doing ISOs anymore.
>

>     This would be a real shame.  Your step-by-step
>     installation/configuration of mythtv is the best I've seen
>     anywhere.   I had not used Mythbuntu until I picked up an ECS
>     Liva, so to configure that as a frontend (to connect to my
>     existing EL6 backend), I used Mythbuntu, and I was very impressed.
>

>         What this means for Mythbuntu devs
>         * No work done on testing ISOs. We would still provide daily
>         builds of the fixes and master repos.
>
>         What this means for users
>         * Current users would be able to upgrade as usual and the
>         packaging updates will continue to happen.
>         * New users will need to install Ubuntu server and then use
>         apt to install the necessary packages for MythTV.
>
>         Please let me know of any questions or comments you have (or
>         offers to help).
>
>         Thanks,
>
>         Thomas Mashos
>         Mythbuntu developer
>         --
>         Thomas Mashos

> Again, I'd like to thank everyone here for the comments. I've
> contacted the two people that said they were willing to help
> (sorry Hika van den Hoven, we won't be moving from systemd to openrc).
>
> I'll be watching this thread a little less closely now, if anyone else
> wants to help feel free to email me directly.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Mashos
> Mythbuntu Developer
> --
> Thomas Mashos

Hi Thomas

Count me in to help where I can. I have been updating the wiki over the
past few months, the "User Manual". I am incorporating everything from
the "official documentation" howto into the User Manual, with the hope
that the official documentation can rather be release notes or a list of
changes.

Will the 16.04 release include mythtv 0.27 or 0.28?

I can help with testing, updating the wiki, or other things.

I believe it is worth while continuing mythbuntu, if only to increase
exposure to MythTV.

Regards
Peter Bennett